GFDD Hosts a Series of Recycled Art Workshops at the Centro Cultural Perello in Bani
Santo Domingo, May 23, 2013Tweet
As part of its mission to elevate awareness of environmental challenges and to promoting the sustainable use of natural resources, Global Foundation for Democracy and Development (GFDD) and its sister institution in the Dominican Republic, Fundación Global Democracia y Desarrollo (FUNGLODE), have once again joined forces with the Centro Cultural Perello in Baní to host a series of recycled art workshops throughout the month of May, which will conclude this coming Saturday May 25, 2013.
Artist Bertha Santana conducted the four day workshop on how to recycle at school, to specifically engage and build capacity among 25 art teachers in the community of Baní, on how to reutilize and refashion used textiles, paper and plastic bottles and bags into art. Each four hour workshop included a lecture, followed by hands-on arts and crafts project, designed to develop the skills set of each teacher. In turn, GFDD hopes that the teachers will serve as multipliers and replicate the workshops with their respective student base.
The workshop forms part of GFDD/FUNGLODE ReCrearte Program, which aims to raise awareness on the 3Rs of solid waste management: reduce, reuse, and recycle. The workshop will also emphasize and demonstrate how recycling waste into art can empower individuals and communities alike.
The impetus behind the ReCrearte Program arose from the interest sparked among students participating in the Recycled Art Workshop conducted by Bertha Santana, during the II DR Environmental Film Festival (DREFF) in 2012. Through this brand new program, GFDD hopes to engage youth groups, educators and women’s associations into reformulating the way they think about trash.
The ReCrearte Program is reflective of DREFF’s overall mission to interact with leading figures in the environmental community and to make a difference at a grassroots level.
Join us for the III edition of the DR Environmental Film Festival will take place on September 4-8, 2013.
- Third Edition of Globo Verde Dominicano Award Introducing a New Category in the Area of Photography
Santo Domingo, March 24, 2014
- GFDD’s RDescubre Program Inspires Environmental Stewardship through Education
Santo Domingo, March 18, 2014
- ReCrearte Program continues to gain strength across the country
Santo Domingo, March 5, 2014
- GFDD Short Film Wins Best Documentary at the 2014 Green Lens Environmental Film Festival
De Kalb, Illinois, February 27, 2014
- GFDD and Human Film Crew to Give Workshop on “The Art of the Interview: Techniques for Establishing Good Dialogue in the Production of a Documentary”
Santo Domingo, February 15, 2014
- Dominican Students Conquer New Heights on Mountain Hike to Pico Duarte
Santo Domingo, February 8, 2014
- GFDD’s Participates in the Princeton Environmental Film Festival with its own Dominican Eco-Short
New York, January 29, 2014
- GFDD's New Series of Eco-Courses Aid Sustainable Agricultural Development in the Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, January 24, 2014