GFDD and FUNGLODE Films Hold Special Screening of La Montaña
Santo Domingo, October 26, 2013Tweet
On Saturday October 26, GFDD and FUNGLODE were delighted to offer a special screening of the newly released Dominican film, “La montaña” (The Mountain). The activity was organized for the students who participated in the Educational Excursions to Pico Duarte, a program which form part of the Dominican Republic Environmental Film Festival (DREFF) since 2012. The program, in collaboration with Karim Mella’s Siempre Más Foundation, takes high school students from around the country on a 5-day educational expedition up the highest peak in the Antilles: Pico Duarte. The objective is to turn these young people into protectors of the environment while they learn the value of personal effort, teamwork, companionship and discipline as well as the necessary skills to overcome obstacles and achieve personal goals - now and in the future.
The film-screening event, held at the Blue Mall’s Palace Cinema, began with words of welcome by GFDD/FUNGLODE’s Paul Goris and professional mountain climber and one of the film’s protagonists, Karim Mella.
More than 300 students enjoyed the documentary film and saw themselves reflected in the film’s important message, which is directed at the young people of the Dominican Republic.
About The Mountain
In May 2011, a Caribbean expedition made history when the Dominican flag crowned the world's highest mountain: Mount Everest. This mission inspired three young surfers, sons of fishermen in Nizao, who set out to conquer the highest mountain of the island and of the Caribbean, Pico Duarte. This is the story that unites the two missions. A naïve and epic story, built on motivation, inspiration, determination and achievement. It is an adventure that proves that from the sea to the sky, we all have a dream, a goal, a mountain to conquer.
- Third Edition of Globo Verde Dominicano Award Introducing a New Category in the Area of Photography
Santo Domingo, March 24, 2014
- GFDD’s RDescubre Program Inspires Environmental Stewardship through Education
Santo Domingo, March 18, 2014
- ReCrearte Program continues to gain strength across the country
Santo Domingo, March 5, 2014
- GFDD Short Film Wins Best Documentary at the 2014 Green Lens Environmental Film Festival
De Kalb, Illinois, February 27, 2014
- GFDD and Human Film Crew to Give Workshop on “The Art of the Interview: Techniques for Establishing Good Dialogue in the Production of a Documentary”
Santo Domingo, February 15, 2014
- Dominican Students Conquer New Heights on Mountain Hike to Pico Duarte
Santo Domingo, February 8, 2014
- GFDD’s Participates in the Princeton Environmental Film Festival with its own Dominican Eco-Short
New York, January 29, 2014
- GFDD's New Series of Eco-Courses Aid Sustainable Agricultural Development in the Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, January 24, 2014