Dominican Student Group Set to Conquer New Heights on Mountain Hike to Pico Duarte
Santo Domingo, February 6, 2014Tweet
The Educational Expedition to Pico Duarte, an initiative of Global Foundation for Democracy and Development's DR Environmental Film Festival (DREFF) and the Siempre Mas Foundation, set off today, this time with 75 students and staff members. For the ninth time since the cultivation of the initiative at DREFF 1 in 2011, selected student will endure the thrill of a four day climb to conquer the tallest peak in the Antilles, Pico Duarte. The hike aims to help turn youth into protectors of the environment whilst simeltaneously learning the value of personal effort, teamwork, companionship and discipline. The experience also hopes to encourage the necessary skill-sets to overcome obstacles and achieve personal goals -- now, and in the future.
Under the safe and practical guidance of staff and volunteers from the Siempre Mas Foundation, students hailing from the St. Jude Foundation in Santo Domingo, the Santa Ana Home in San Pedro de Macoris and from the Ann & Ted Kheel Polytechnic School in Verón, will have the opportunity to learn more about their natural heritage and explore their innermost connection to the environment.
During the trek, the adventourous group will receive almost a dozen educational lectures from environmental conservation experts at the Armando Bermudez National Park. The talks will raise awareness on topics such as; the geography of the Cordillera Mountain Range, its flora and fauna, climate, environmental conservation, forest fires, and re-forestation, among other relevant themes.
The expedition was made possible thanks to support of the Punta Cana Ecological Foundation and DREFF which sponsors the yearly expedition. The organizations provide the necessary equipment for the realization of additional excursions, and organizes activities throughout the year meant to reunite participants and reinforce best practices and values gleaned during the trip.
Since the 1st Education expedition took place in March of 2012, more than 400 students from around the country have had the opportunity to participate in this life-changing adventure. The Educational Expeditions to Pico Duarte reflect DREFF’s overall mission to interact with leading figures in the environmental community and, by encouraging the participation of young students, foster change at the grassroots level.
- Third Edition of Globo Verde Dominicano Award Introducing a New Category in the Area of Photography
Santo Domingo, March 24, 2014
- GFDD’s RDescubre Program Inspires Environmental Stewardship through Education
Santo Domingo, March 18, 2014
- ReCrearte Program continues to gain strength across the country
Santo Domingo, March 5, 2014
- GFDD Short Film Wins Best Documentary at the 2014 Green Lens Environmental Film Festival
De Kalb, Illinois, February 27, 2014
- GFDD and Human Film Crew to Give Workshop on “The Art of the Interview: Techniques for Establishing Good Dialogue in the Production of a Documentary”
Santo Domingo, February 15, 2014
- Dominican Students Conquer New Heights on Mountain Hike to Pico Duarte
Santo Domingo, February 8, 2014
- GFDD’s Participates in the Princeton Environmental Film Festival with its own Dominican Eco-Short
New York, January 29, 2014
- GFDD's New Series of Eco-Courses Aid Sustainable Agricultural Development in the Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, January 24, 2014