DREFF’s Year Round Screening Program commemorates International Women’s Day
Santo Domingo, March 3, 2014Tweet
On March 7th, the DR Environmental Film Festival in collaboration with the Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources will hold a special screening of the documentary film Mother Caring for 7 Billion, in commemoration of International Women’s Day. The screening will be held at Ministry headquarters in Santo Domingo.
The film, which inaugurated the III DREFF this past year, emphasizes the key role of education in overcoming the global challenges we face ahead, and advocates for raising the status of women worldwide.
Nominated at over 25 film festivals, including as winner in the Best Film category at the Boulder International Film Festival, Mother: Caring for 7 Billion breaks a 40-year taboo by bringing to light an issue that silently fuels our most pressing environmental, humanitarian and social crises - population growth. It is a critical time to talk about this subject because, as of 2011, the world’s population has reached seven billion. At the same time, talking about population has become politically incorrect because of the sensitive issues surrounding the topic – religion, economics, family planning and gender inequality. Yet it is an issue we cannot afford to ignore as one billion people still suffer from chronic hunger.
Biography of Director Christophe Fauchere:
Christophe Fauchere directed, produced and edited this project. He has a proven track record of taking on environmental and social issues, finding their links and connecting the dots for the audience. He creates clear and entertaining works that make multifaceted subjects understandable and entertaining. He is an award-winning filmmaker who has been working in the film and video industry for 15 years.
For more information on how to host your own screening, please visit: www.dominicanscreenings.org.
About International Women’s Day
International Women's Day has been observed since in the early 1900's, a time of great expansion and turbulence in the industrialized world that saw booming population growth and the rise of radical ideologies.
The day serves to celebrate the social, political and economic achievements of women while focusing world attention on areas requiring further action. The theme for this year’s International Women’s Day is INSPIRING CHANGE.
For more information about upcoming events during International Women’s Day please visit the official website at: http://www.internationalwomensday.com/events.asp#.UxEC8_ldXYs.
- Third Edition of Globo Verde Dominicano Award Introducing a New Category in the Area of Photography
Santo Domingo, March 24, 2014
- GFDD’s RDescubre Program Inspires Environmental Stewardship through Education
Santo Domingo, March 18, 2014
- ReCrearte Program continues to gain strength across the country
Santo Domingo, March 5, 2014
- GFDD Short Film Wins Best Documentary at the 2014 Green Lens Environmental Film Festival
De Kalb, Illinois, February 27, 2014
- GFDD and Human Film Crew to Give Workshop on “The Art of the Interview: Techniques for Establishing Good Dialogue in the Production of a Documentary”
Santo Domingo, February 15, 2014
- Dominican Students Conquer New Heights on Mountain Hike to Pico Duarte
Santo Domingo, February 8, 2014
- GFDD’s Participates in the Princeton Environmental Film Festival with its own Dominican Eco-Short
New York, January 29, 2014
- GFDD's New Series of Eco-Courses Aid Sustainable Agricultural Development in the Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, January 24, 2014