GFDD and FUNGLODE Collaborate with the United Nations to Screen Documentary "On the Edge, Antarctica" in Honor of Earth Day Celebrations
New York, April 15, 2014Tweet
GFDD/FUNGLODE in collaboration with the Earth Day Network, United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), Committee on NGO's (CoNGO), and the Permanent Mission of the Dominican Republic to the United Nations, will host a special Earth Day screening of the newly released documentary film, On the Edge, Antarctica. The presentation, a New York premiere, will take place at 6:30 p.m. on April 22nd at the UN Headquarters’ ECOSOC Chamber.
On the Edge, Antarctica documents filmmaker, adventurer, author and oceans expert Jon Bowermaster's extraordinary experiences in Antarctica while kayaking the coastline and filming for National Geographic. Though big and remote, seemingly tough and foreboding, Antarctica can be a fragile place too. As the planet continues to change — and warm — Antarctica and its wildlife are changing too, and fast. This New York preview of his dazzling 40 minute film about climate change takes viewers for an up-close look at the most pristine place on planet Earth.
The evening film program, which contains stunning images, the likes of which have never been seen before, will be followed by a panel discussion on the topic of climate change and sea level rise. Special guests include: film director Jon Bowermaster; H.E. Ambassador Ahmed Sareer, Permanent Mission of Maldives to the UN; and Jamil Ahmad, Deputy Director of UNEP.
Jon Bowermaster is a firm supporter of GFDD/FUNGLODE programs, having first joined the III Dominican Republic Environment Film Festival (DREFF) in September 2013, and most recently appearing on GFDD's Global Roundtable to discuss the issue of fracking in February 2014.
About Earth Day
April 22, 1970 marks the birth of the modern environmental movement when the US Senator, Gaylord Nelson, witnessing the ravages of the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill, called for an environmental teach-in, later called “Earth Day.” The April 22 date was later designated as International Mother Earth Day by a consensus resolution adopted by the United Nations in 2009. Earth Day is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network, and is celebrated by more than one billion people in over 192 countries around the world.
For access to the event as non UN grounds pass holders please RSVP to Marc Jourdan firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Third Edition of Globo Verde Dominicano Award Introducing a New Category in the Area of Photography
Santo Domingo, March 24, 2014
- GFDD’s RDescubre Program Inspires Environmental Stewardship through Education
Santo Domingo, March 18, 2014
- ReCrearte Program continues to gain strength across the country
Santo Domingo, March 5, 2014
- GFDD Short Film Wins Best Documentary at the 2014 Green Lens Environmental Film Festival
De Kalb, Illinois, February 27, 2014
- GFDD and Human Film Crew to Give Workshop on “The Art of the Interview: Techniques for Establishing Good Dialogue in the Production of a Documentary”
Santo Domingo, February 15, 2014
- Dominican Students Conquer New Heights on Mountain Hike to Pico Duarte
Santo Domingo, February 8, 2014
- GFDD’s Participates in the Princeton Environmental Film Festival with its own Dominican Eco-Short
New York, January 29, 2014
- GFDD's New Series of Eco-Courses Aid Sustainable Agricultural Development in the Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, January 24, 2014