Dominican Geography Fair Opens Up "A New World of Exploration" for Visitors
Santo Domingo, April 29, 2014Tweet
Students, teachers and general public interested in learning more about the environment gathered under the creative theme of “We are all Explorers” at the Geography Fair which took place April 23-24 in Santo Domingo's Sambil Mall. All activities offered, including GFDD's Dominican Republic Environmental Film Festival's (DREFF) Year-Round Screening Program, were aimed at raising awareness on the interconnectedness of geographic areas while promoting their exploration and conservation.
The Fair, now in its third consecutive year, was an opportunity for Global Foundation for Democracy and Development (GFDD and FUNGLODE) to collaborate with Listin Diario’s Plan Lea to present four DREFF screenings of 3 ecology-based films:
1) "The Mountain" - a documentary drama depicting an extraordinary and inspirational story of human determination and achievement;
2) "Planet Ocean"; a visually stunning film that investigates some of the planet’s greatest natural mysteries and highlights the importance of living in harmony with our oceans;
3) a GFDD-produced short film; "Educational Expedition to Pico Duarte"; which follows students from three Dominican high-schools who had the opportunity to scale the DR’s highest summit alongside Dominican professional mountaineer and seasoned Everest trekker, Karim Mella.
The annual event attracted hundreds of students from different educational institutions over the DR Capital, including; Max Enrique Ureña Educational Center, Montessori Institute, and Vitalina Mordan de Cruz, Tomas Hernandez Franco, and Club Narciso Gonzalez, among others.
Visitors and students to the Geography Fair viewed the DREFF films and commented on the important information they had acquired. Desiree, a student of Max Enrique Ureña said she enjoyed watching the films and learning more about lesser know aspects of her country.
David, of Max Enrique Ureña Alcarrizos School stated he equally liked both the screenings and the informative discussions that ensued. " I have learned many things about my country's geography, its protected areas and the importance of taking care of them." He added that, the message for the need for environmental conservation and protection could not come more louder or clearer.
Jhoan from Vitalin Mordan de Cruz School felt that we should always work towards a goal and if we work hard enough we can achieve anything, such as the scaling of a mountain. Fellow student Yaroli, echoed Jhoan's sentiment and added she was fascinated by the numerous interesting booths and stands at the Fair.
GFDD's publication, first ever Dominican Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Environment were given out as competition incentives. The books were presented to individual winners Orlando Yanes, from the Montessori Institute; Obispo Hererida, from the Educational District 15-02; Anny Catherine Peña Batista, National Vocational Teacher from the Ministry of Education; and Leonoras De Jesús H.
Also receiving Dictionaries were winning schools of the Geography Week "Exploration" contest: Colegio Quisqueya / Cienfuegos Team (1st Honorable Mention). Title: Exploring my community: Bella Vista and Los Ríos and Colegio Dominico Americano / Dominico Americano Team (Honorable Mention). Títle: Research on the Solenodonte Paradoxus.
About GFDD’s Year-Round Environmental Film Screening Program
As part of its mission to reach more communities, institutions and individuals around the country, the DR Environmental Film Festival organizes year-round film screenings that bring interesting and important films to new and remote communities. By showing a diverse selection of quality movies on critical environmental issues and organizing discussions and workshops, the year-round film screenings program seeks to foster and inspire dialogue, raise awareness and promote sustainable practices.
For more information on how to organize a screening: www.dominicanscreenings.org.
- Third Edition of Globo Verde Dominicano Award Introducing a New Category in the Area of Photography
Santo Domingo, March 24, 2014
- GFDD’s RDescubre Program Inspires Environmental Stewardship through Education
Santo Domingo, March 18, 2014
- ReCrearte Program continues to gain strength across the country
Santo Domingo, March 5, 2014
- GFDD Short Film Wins Best Documentary at the 2014 Green Lens Environmental Film Festival
De Kalb, Illinois, February 27, 2014
- GFDD and Human Film Crew to Give Workshop on “The Art of the Interview: Techniques for Establishing Good Dialogue in the Production of a Documentary”
Santo Domingo, February 15, 2014
- Dominican Students Conquer New Heights on Mountain Hike to Pico Duarte
Santo Domingo, February 8, 2014
- GFDD’s Participates in the Princeton Environmental Film Festival with its own Dominican Eco-Short
New York, January 29, 2014
- GFDD's New Series of Eco-Courses Aid Sustainable Agricultural Development in the Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, January 24, 2014