Dominican Ministry of Environment’s Eco-visitas Program to be Hosted by GFDD and FUNGLODE
Santo Domingo, May 16, 2014Tweet
Some two hundred and forty students will be participating in the 46th edition of the Eco-visitas program for Environmental Education and Recreation, which is promoted by the Dominican Ministry of Environment’s Department of Education and Environmental Training.
The event, which is organized in coordination with GFDD/FUNGLODE, will take place on May 21, 2014, from 9:00am- 12:00pm and include various artistic and cultural elements. The morning's proceedings will consist of several song performances, a presentation of GFDD’s Dominican Republic Environmental Film Festival (DREFF) programs, (namely, Eco Huertos and ReCrearte), a tour of FUNGLODE's Juan Bosch Library, and will be rounded off by a special film screening of GFDD’s self-produced short film; Garbage or Resource: The Dominican Republic Experience.
The Eco-visitas program will provide students from 6, 7 and 8 grades, the opportunity to visit and learn from institutions that promote environmental education and research, thereby reinforcing the adoption of a broad social and participatory environmental management ethos. The program also includes visits to the Museum of Natural History (MNHN), and the National Aquarium (AN), Botanical Garden (JBN)s and Zoo (ZooDOM).
Overall objectives of the Eco-vistas program are to: promote environmental management and sustainable use of natural resources and encourage responsible citizenship; strengthen schools environment education curriculum; and help improve facilities for young students, enhancing their academic and practical experience training.
A generation of students have enjoyed the Eco-visitas program since its inception, motivating and inspiring them to preserve the natural resources and biodiversity of the Dominican Republic. Participating public schools in 2014 are; Carlito Melo Salazar, Antonio Duvergé, Leonor Nova Volquéz, Altos de los Naranjos, Atabalero Abajo, Elvira de Mendoza, and Vitalia Mordán de la Cruz from the Santo Domingo (National District), Duarte, Boca Chica, and Jimaní provinces respectively.
- Third Edition of Globo Verde Dominicano Award Introducing a New Category in the Area of Photography
Santo Domingo, March 24, 2014
- GFDD’s RDescubre Program Inspires Environmental Stewardship through Education
Santo Domingo, March 18, 2014
- ReCrearte Program continues to gain strength across the country
Santo Domingo, March 5, 2014
- GFDD Short Film Wins Best Documentary at the 2014 Green Lens Environmental Film Festival
De Kalb, Illinois, February 27, 2014
- GFDD and Human Film Crew to Give Workshop on “The Art of the Interview: Techniques for Establishing Good Dialogue in the Production of a Documentary”
Santo Domingo, February 15, 2014
- Dominican Students Conquer New Heights on Mountain Hike to Pico Duarte
Santo Domingo, February 8, 2014
- GFDD’s Participates in the Princeton Environmental Film Festival with its own Dominican Eco-Short
New York, January 29, 2014
- GFDD's New Series of Eco-Courses Aid Sustainable Agricultural Development in the Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, January 24, 2014